Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about Electric powered RC Aircraft

How do I get involved in flying radio controlled models?

The easiest way is to join your local RC aircraft club. From there you can purchase your Model Aeronautics Association of Canada insurance (which is required at any model aircraft flying site in Canada). These fees are based on a calendar year starting January 1 ending Dec. 31.

How much does it cost?

It really depends on the type of flying you want to do. Start-up costs can be as inexpensive as $200.00 for everything you need, however buying an inexpensive starter set-up may not be in your best interest as they are very limited in what they can do. A better way would be to invest approximately $500.00 and get a good starter aircraft and radio combination that features 4 - function controls ie. throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder. The members of the Burnaby club are always willing to discuss models with newcomers. Drop by the field and ask any of the members present, they'll be glad to assist you.

Who will teach me?

The Burnaby club has numerous MAAC "Wings" instructors available to newcomers at no charge. These instructors will insure that you get the most of your RC experience and insure that you learn to operate your RC model aircraft in a proper and safe manner. They will also insure that over a period of time you gain your MAAC "Wings" certificate which indicates that you are now a competent and safe RC pilot.

What else is required other than a plane and insurance?

You will need a number of accessories that may not have been included with your model or radio. These items include batteries for your aircraft, a charger for these flight batteries and a container to carry your associated tools etc required for flying RC model aircraft